POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : megapov bug : Re: megapov bug Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: megapov bug
From: Scott Hill
Date: 13 Feb 2001 11:12:08
Message: <3a895cd8@news.povray.org>
news:3a894f89$1@news.povray.org...
> In article <3a8945a1@news.povray.org> , "Scott Hill"
> <sco### [at] ncgraphicsnet> wrote:
>
> >     Why not ? The point of the STL is that it is generic, i.e. designed
> > work with _any_ data classes - you really have to work hard to make your
> > classes incompatible with the STL, so, what's up with the C++ code in
3.5
> > that makes it so ?
>
> You missed the point.  It is not that we are not compatible with the STL
> (I never said that, did I?)

    No, you never, not in so many words anyway - your statement was a little
ambiguous so it could have been read that way.

> but that there is no compatible STL.

    Tell me about it ! I was forgetting POV's cross-platform and therefore
cross-compiler too (note to self : just 'cos you code windows apps all day
and read windows programming books and eat windows code and sleep in a world
of windows, it don't mean windows is all there is....(Hmm, maybe I should
get out more....))
    As you say, hopefully they'll fix a standard for the STL and then people
could actually work towards a target that isn't moving about all the time -
as it is currently you can't really blame compiler writers for the lack of
STL support when the ISO/ANSI boards keep changing there minds on just what
the standard is.

    BTW, why did you say "Only the iostreams should be used" ? As I
understand it, they're the least supported part of the STL.

--
Scott Hill.
NC Graphics (Cambridge) Ltd.